I sometimes wonder what the stats are for the following categories of members within the various worldwide societies. It might be useful if a poll where taken to establish the numbers & percentages for the following; viz;Members who are
- Smallscale breeders who breed purely as a hobby, because they love the pony, who breed mainly for themselves and might sell the odd pony.
- Larger scale breeders who breed as part of their farming or stud enterprise, or as an add on to other business, who are aiming to sell the majority of what they breed.
- Either of the above, and keep selected ponies to produce for showing in hand, riding or other purposes for use by their family, lending. leasing or selling on.
- Producers of ponies which they buy, and keep , mainly as a hobbby for themselves and family, but might sell a few ponies.
- Larger scale producers who buy in and trade in a larger number of ponies which they produce for the market with a view to making a profit.
- Larger scale producers who breed, trade, buy and produce a large number of ponies for the market.
This is not the suggested poll, but only the information the poll would be trying to assertain.
It is important that breeders' themselves decide whether they are breeding for themselves [as breeding stock or their own use], or for selling on to the marketplace, before they plan their matings for each year. What a breeder wants and what the marketplace wants, are too often very different things.